Teachers and Students,
It gives me real delight to join you to confer the Chinese Government Awards for Outstanding Self-financed Students Abroad.
I would like to begin by extending my warmest congratulations to this year's 31 awardees.
This is the seventh award ceremony that I have attended. Each time, I have been impressed by the vigor and spirit of my young fellow countrymen. Each time I felt truly proud of what they have achieved. Today is no exception.
I also want to express my sincere appreciation to all the teachers for their efforts with guidance and help.
As a Chinese saying goes,
"Great capability is key to success."
Talented people with great capability are amongst the most valuable resources of any nation. In today's world, countries are competing for greater comprehensive national strength. This is in essence a competition between the most talented, especially, between the young talents.
President Xi Jinping once said:
"A nation will rise and be strong if its young people are rising and growing in strength."
All of you, coming to Britain to study, epitomize China's young generation and represent the hope of China's future. Today, I would like to share with you my three hopes.
First, I hope you will grasp the prevailing trend of China's future:
· Here you are, away from home, studying hard, learning new things and increasing your capability. This is most important.
· At the same time, it is equally important not to lose sight of what's happening back home: How has your country developed? What does she need for further growth? What are the latest policies?
· Studying in Britain gives you an international perspective to China's development. I hope this will help you build up confidence in China's development path, in her theory, in her system and in her culture.
· I believe this will enable you to be more focused in your studies and decide how you want to apply what you've learned.
· And in all of you, I wish to see a new generation of builders and contributors in China's development.
Second, I hope you will grasp the overall development trend in the world:
· Today's world is undergoing a profound process of economic globalization.
· That means a new round of technological and industrial revolution is fast advancing.
· In this process, China's role is changing from a "follower" to a "front-runner".
· Looking ahead, the future of China and the future of the world belong to the younger generation.
· I hope that young people like all of you will keep pace with the times.
· And that will require you to dare to blaze new trails and strive to win in a highly competitive world.
Third, I hope you will understand the historical responsibility that has fallen on your shoulders:
· National renewal is the greatest dream of the Chinese nation in modern history. It is the historical mission of my generation and your generation.
· Now the great dream is before us. But the journey to pursue this dream can only be accomplished by tangible steps.
· I hope you will:
o Aim high with a clear vision.
o Make the best use of your time here in universities.
o Study with utmost commitment.
o Adopt concrete action plans.
o And that way you will reach your goals.
· In doing so, you are moving closer to realizing the Chinese dream of national renewal.
· And also that is the path to contribute to building a community of shared future of mankind.
Youth comes but once in a lifetime.
My young fellow countrymen:
· Let the dream of your nation inspire your dreams!
· Take up your historical responsibility.
· Invest your youthful efforts in building a better future.
This is the way I hope you will all grow to become pillars of our nation and work for the development of China.
Finally I hope you will contribute to the "Golden Era" of China-UK relations and to the progress and prosperity of all humanity.